Our regular hours are from 6:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. The SIF is closed on official Boston University holidays.
Walk-ins welcome, or call or e-mail to arrange a tour for groups or individuals.
Phone: (617) 353-5056
Fax: (617) 353-6021
The SIF is located at 3 Cummington Street (Physics Research Building) in Room B09. The building is behind Morse Auditorium, and across from the Metcalf Science Center (SCI) at 590 Commonwealth Ave.
Closest MBTA Stop: Blandford (Green Line B)
Closest Parking: Warren Towers Garage (Permits/Cash)
Closest BU Shuttle Stop: C4 (outbound), M4 (inbound)
Take the stairs down one flight to the basement level and make an immediate left. The SIF is in Room B09.
Boston University Scientific Instruments Facility
590 Commonwealth Avenue, Physics Room 255
Boston, MA 02215
- Holiday Inn Brookline – Map • Website
- Hotel Buckminster – Map • Website
- Hotel Commonwealth – Map • Website
- Courtyard my Marriott Brookline – Map • Website
- Beacon Inn – Map • Website
- Beach Tree Inn – Map • Website
- Anthony’s Town House – Map • Website
- Best Western Terrace Inn – Map • Website
Don’t rent a car unless you really enjoy a challenge. Boston drivers are notoriously bad, and there is a lot of construction which makes things difficult. If you do bring a car, you must park at a meter ($1/hour and up, time limited to 1-2 hours many places), or if you arrange in advance you may be able to get a permit for a university structure.
Take the MBTA (subway). It will take you anywhere you need to go.
From the airport:
- Outside the terminal, board a shuttle bus which says “Subway”, ride to the station.
- Buy a prepaid “Charlie Card” for fare. They work on all busses/trains.
- Ride the blue line inbound to Government Center
- Go upstairs and board a green line train westbound
- For physics dept (or any other destination on Commonwealth ave), take a B-Boston College train to Blandford st (first above-ground stop)
- For Buckminster or Commonwealth Hotel, take B, C or D train to Kenmore Square
- For Holiday Inn (or any other destination on Beacon St), take C-Coolidge Corner train to St Mary’s street